Vision for 2025
Scotland’s Life Sciences Industry Set to Generate £8bn by 2025
Working in partnership with academia, healthcare professionals and Scottish Government, Scotland’s Life Sciences Industry is well on track to realise the vision set by the Industry Leadership Group of contributing £8bn to the Scottish economy by 2025.
This is due to a focus on and commitment to all elements critical to the enterprise lifecycle: research, develop, manufacture and commercialise. Accordingly, four strategic themes have been selected as key and relevant to the Life Sciences sector as a whole.
The four strategic themes are:
• Innovation and Commercialisation
• Sustainable Production
• Business Environment
Collectively, these themes will form the framework to accelerate the growth and success of the sector.
In this video below – hear Dave Tudor explain the opportunity for Scotland’s life science sector and the rationale for the 2025 strategy
Innovation and Commercialisation
Scotland is a world-leading entrepreneurial nation and in the Scottish Life Sciences sector, our priorities include:
- Driving growth through collaboration to commercialise the output of innovation and excellence centres
- Improving on the current ecosystem to maximise economic growth and create more companies of scale
- Attracting, developing and retaining entrepreneurial leadership across academia, the health service and industry
Changing the environment for, and approach to, the production of Life Sciences products will enable more of the intellectual assets developed in Scotland to lead to production in Scotland. We continue to support the delivery of the Life and Chemical Sciences Manufacturing strategy, focusing on its four main priorities:
- Leadership confidence and promoting manufacturing
- Research commercialisation, technology development and scale up
- Supply chains and re-shoring
- Investing in Scotland
The number of Scottish companies and organisations successfully operating overseas continues to increase and Scotland continues to be a location of choice for Life Sciences. The 2025 Vision for Life Sciences builds on this further through:
- Leveraging Scotland’s established networks from academia, industry and government
- Highlighting the success and competitive capabilities of our companies, research base, health service innovations and clinical research
- Supporting our company base to raise their ambition and confidence to exploit international markets and opportunities by sharing valuable in-market experience and international networks
The core aspects of the business environment that are critical to support the sector’s growth include:
- Developing Scotland’s Life Sciences infrastructure plan
- Maintaining a world class regulatory environment
- Supporting the delivery of the Life Sciences Skills Investment Plan
- Improving access to funding and investment
To read more about the strategic themes, download the Life Sciences Strategy for Scotland 2025 Vision here.
Find out more about the work of the Life Sciences Industry Industry Leadership Group and ways to join us.