Scotland, the cutting edge of the life and chemical sciences industry, is a great place to create or relocate your business.
Across Scotland there is a wide variety of property solutions suited to meeting the needs of ambitious healthcare companies whether these are start-ups or more established manufacturing players.
Scotland’s four main city regions provide the majority of property for rent or land available for developmental however opportunities exist all over Scotland.
From the renowned Edinburgh BioQuarter, whereThe Farr Institute of Informatics Research is located, to facilities including BioCity and the West of Scotland Science Park in Glasgow or the 100 acre Enterprise Park at Forres in the Highlands, Scotland offers a broad and flexible range of commercial property offerings and development options to consider.
- 6 airports connecting Europe, Middle East and North America
- Fast and frequent rail links to all parts of the UK
- Ferry ports and 2 container ports connect to mainland Europe
- Scotland’s logistics services provide temperature controlled GxP complaint, door to door delivery. From the central belt, you can reach:
- All 4 major university hospitals within 3 hours
- At least 6 UK major cities with key cell therapy centres within 8 hours
- At least 41 major cities in Europe within 24 hours
- Logistic companies offer specialised services to Asia, far east, Africa and North America
Glasgow and West of Scotland
- West of Scotland Science Park (next to University of Glasgow’s Garscube Campus) – ca.62 acre park, is divided into two campuses (Kelvin and Todd). Provides space for start-ups, high growth and technology c
- Clinical Innovation Zone (adj. to Queen Elizabeth University Hospital and Royal Hospital for Children, Imaging Centre of Excellence (containing a 7 Tesla MRI scanner) and the Stratified Medicine Scotland Innovation Centre) Offers precision medicine, diagnostic and imaging companies the opportunity to be based at the interface of academia, NHS and industry.
- Nova Technology Park – ca.67 acre park for science and technology companies
- Medipark in Strathclyde Business Park – ca.49 acre park for the life science and medical technologies sector
- Scottish Enterprise Technology Park (East Kilbride) – ca.34 acre park for biotechnology, medical and pharmaceutical sectors.
- Irvine Bay – Scotland’s biggest single Enterprise Area. Life and chemical companies benefit from existing infrastructure. The surrounding area is home to a number of globally recognised life and chemical sciences businesses such as GSK, DSM Nutrition and Sigma Aldrich.
- BioCity Scotland and Medicity Scotland – provides state of the art laboratories and office space available for rentto companies in the bioscience,pharmaceutical, medtech and healthcare industries
- Grangemouth – The Grangemouth area has the largest cluster of petrochemical and chemical companies in Scotland. With the largest container port in Scotland with intermodal transport, Grangemouth provides ca. 200 acres of green and brownfield sites within the Grangemouth Investment Zone.
Edinburgh and the East
- Biocampus (Easter Bush, Midlothian)- ca.25 acre serviced development site for advanced cGMP bio- manufacturing uses;
- Edinburgh Technopole (Easter Bush, Midlothian) – ca.126 acre park with various serviced sites in a parkland setting for the science and technology sector;
- Heriot-Watt University Research Park – ca.110 acre science park with broad range of flexible accommodation and serviced plots for development suited to spin-outs, semi mature and mature companies in the science and technology sector;
- Edinburgh BioQuarter (adj. The Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and Royal Hospital for Sick Children – major acute teaching hospitals).– ca.100 acre development site with a range of suites for let of fully serviced flexible development plots for biomedical sector, whether focussed on research, development, commercialisation, drugs or devices, products or services. Co-location of academic research and clinical research facilities provides an opportunity for companies to engage with world-leading medical researchers and clinicians for translational research.
- Roslin Biocentre is a world-leading ‘Centre of Excellence’ for Life Sciences and the location of choice for a wide range of successful companies. With Roslin Institute’s new research facility at Easter Bush, Moredun Institute, Pentlands Science Park and the Edinburgh Technopole just over a mile away, the area provides a stimulating environment for companies to mature and develop.
- Pentlands Science Park provides an excellent supported environment for over 20 commercial tenants involved in R&D in life sciences and their activities
- Alba Innovation Centre offers an attractive working environment for knowledge based businesses within the Edinburgh area, set within a landscaped 96 acre site.]
- Dundee Technopole – ca.8 acre park providing a range of development options on flexible serviced plots for research and technology companies;
- Dundee Medipark – ca.25 acre site with a range of property and serviced plots for clinical, and science and technology sectors;
- Dundee Technology Park – ca.18 acre campus-style park for companies in the high growth bio-technology and other high tech sectors.
- Aberdeen Energy & Innovation Parks – two science parks (ca.60 acre and ca.72 acre) with a broad range of property and flexible plot sizes for development for high technology, innovation and R&D sectors.
Highlands and Islands
- Inverness Campus – ca. 215 acre campus at Beechwood, east Inverness currently under development to provide serviced plots available for development, particularly well suited to those looking to collaborate with the University of the Highlands and Islands, the Centre for Health Science at Raigmore Hospital or the Scottish Agricultural College;
- Centre for Health Science – a state ofthe art facility located in Inverness, bringing together public, private and academic sectors is a focus for excellence in health science and biotechnology.
- The Enterprise Park, Forres – ca.100 acre business park with a range of clean manufacturing units and serviced plots for a range of technology sectors;
- European Marine Science Park – located in Oban, provides high quality laboratory and office accommodation for an emerging marine business cluster. Businesses based at the Science Park can benefit from co-location with SAMS, one of the world’s leading marine science institutes, providing access to 140+ scientists in all fields of marine science, first class lab. facilities and access to the largest collection of algae and protozoa in Europe.
Scotland – Connected to the world